Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Reclaimed Walnut block side table

Here is a table I made for The Bottom Line Show.
It is an all reclaimed, solid Walnut side table on a refinished base found at a local junk store.


This is where the table started... the trash box.




The base... needs a little TLC.




After the 'off-fall' boards are cut in to cubes they need to be sanded, all 286 of them...





My first look at everything together.



OK, so... gluing 286 blocks together, fast enough that the first ones are not dry before I got the clamps on was a little tricky.




Much, Much, Much sanding.




I played with a few edge shapes but in the end I just hand sanded a nice big round over.





The base after polishing and painting the underside.
Also I used some more of the scrap Walnut and turned 'suction cup' feet.
They have threaded inserts which make them adjustable.







Sanded to 1000 grit.




Final product.





Getting her ready for the show.


Displayed with a reclaimed Windsor chair mounted on a 1960s task chair base.




No comments:

Post a Comment