Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Birch Plywood - Occasional Tables

These are the newest tables in the IDM collection.  They are constructed from reclaimed Birch Plywood.  I did get them in full sheets but were trash to the seller because they were very warped and twisted.  I didn't care because I was cutting them up anyway.

Everything is all glued up and ready to start.



One of the toughest parts of this build was cutting this miter, the slab is 3" thick. 




As you probably noticed above, I inserted a spline in the miter joint to hide the connection.
Below is the jig that I cam up with to keep the grove in the same location on all slabs.  This is a must to have the joint come together perfect.









With all the corners rounded over, it's time for finishing.





Tables at the show!
Thank you Patrick for letting me borrow your sofa.

These are ready for order!! Any size, any finish.
Perfect for that Earthy Modern feel in any space!






3 comments:

  1. Hey, I'm working on a similar project for my house. How did you cut the 45deg mitre cuts in the thick ply timber? I would assume a circular saw and/or bench saw would have a fine enough finish. Did you use a router and how did you set it up to do multiple passes to cut through such thick material? Thanks Paul :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Paul,
      I used a table saw with a 14" blade and sliding table... I would suggest using a circular saw and make the thickness of the panels determined by how deep you can cut (use a NEW blade!). Use a 4-6" wide piece of plywood as a fence and clamp it down good. Cut slow and steady... if you can lighten the cut by pre-cutting the excess off it would help, anything less than a "full" cut will make it easier. I would also try and make the final cut in one pass, full depth. If you try and do multiple passes at different depths you will end up with steps on the side of your miter.
      Good Luck!!
      Adam

      Delete